I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir, 1913, in L.M. Wolfe, ed., John Muir, John of the Mountains: The Unpublished Journals of John Muir, 1938

3/23/11

Carpe Punctum

I believe the hardest part of starting anything in life is to start; OK I am starting right now.

I’ve often wonder what to write about. I live a small life, a small but a meaningful life. I am grateful and I spend a lot of my days contemplating the fortune and the gift of being alive. At first, I thought to be ‘kidding’ myself by thinking that I was superficially happy, that my smiles were often hiding deep pain, but after much deliberation, I realize I have absolutely no reason not to be 'happy'.

I am healthy, I have the love of my family, I have the love of my friends. The beauty of the world around me is beyond measure. Sure, there are days that are harder than others, sure, I’ve suffered pain in my life and yet I feel like my suffering was mostly because I was not able to learn to deal with pain. I believe I am learning now. I feel I am able to embrace pain and welcome it as a positive learning experience and as part of being alive.

My life’s purpose among other things is to bring joy to anyone who wants to read my blog, to inject positive energy, to share anecdotes about life and to maintain a positive flow of energy and kind vibrations throughout the universe in good and also in bad times.

So let me start my blog as if we were already in the middle of a conversation…(and yes, does this remind you of a movie?) would you remember which movie this is?

It’s a beautiful day in the City of San Francisco. I take a break from a project at work and inhale. I have a nice big window that overlooks the street downtown. I am enjoying the passing of the clouds and remembering that the two plants on my desk need watering. Their names Kimmie and Tamara. By the way, have you tried, for a change, to live in the moment? carpe punctum – seize the moment? to truly take the time to look at the items on your desk, at the coffee mug, at the water glass, at everything around you? to listen to the different noises, the smells, and open your senses to the now; this happens to be a great way for me to quiet the chatter in my brain, this seems to be the answer to many things that I will share with you...


For now, give this a try. Try. Carpe Punctum.

5 comments:

  1. HI Caro,

    I'm especially struck by your mention of pain and your learning to embrace it as a positive experience.

    I believe fear and pain are the reasons for most of the poor behavior of humans. As I learn to deal with pain and fear in a more positive manner, my life becomes much more serene and less of a daily struggle. I'd like to hear more about your relationship to pain.

    Robby

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, I'm proud of you. I'm VERY happy to see how you're on this path to enlightenment now.

    We're sisters and we clash and bicker a lot--but you've always had such a beautiful soul and affinity towards being compassionate, advocating for the environment and being humanitarian.

    Keep going and continue to surprise us all the way you do with your new adventures! Remember I'm always interested in learning things with you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rob,
    I’ve been spending a few months trying to figure out how to manage my own feeling of pain. I decided that for me, embracing the feeling while recognizing that is a ‘feeling’ and not who I AM, is a great way to deal with it. I actually witness the feeling and recognize that ‘it’ too shall pass, as everything passes, I am able to witness it and watch it disappear, just as I am able to witness ‘happiness’ and embrace it. Like the ‘Book of Understanding’ by Osho says. “The word ‘balance’ is not a noun, it is a verb”. We are balancing, constantly, like a pendulum. To try to achieve ‘balance’ is impossible as balance is something that happens. Therefore, I want to “love my fate”…pain or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Diana,
    Love you my dear sister!...and you know just how much I do.
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire your self awareness Caro. Realizing that we are not our pain and that it's external, is a huge step towards handling it in a healthy manner. Forge ahead.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete